Breast cancer can be scary and confusing, both for those diagnosed and for their family and friends. It’s important to have a strong support network to help with the physical and emotional demands of this disease. Remember, you are not alone. There are many support services available to assist you on this journey, including:
- If you’re in need of local resources or financial assistance resources, please do not hesitate to contact Komen Northwest Ohio at 419-724-2873.
- Call 1-877 GO KOMEN, a free breast care helpline, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to receive professional support services for anyone with breast health and breast cancer concerns, including breast cancer patients and their families
- If you are interested in participating in or learning more about Breast Cancer Clinical Trails visit BreastCancerTrials.org or ClinicalTrials.gov
- The Co-Survivor section of Komen’s national website, where friends and family members can share tips and advice, and read personal stories from others who have been in similar situations
- You can find additional information about financial assistance resources on the Susan G. Komen website
Newly Diagnosed Breast Cancer Survivor Support
Purpose: The Newly Diagnosed Breast Cancer Survivor Support initiative aims to increase support for newly diagnosed breast cancer survivors in the Northwest Ohio Affiliate service area by providing appropriate educational information and resources.
Background: Komen Northwest Ohio gathered the input of local breast cancer survivors through three focus groups. The survivors discussed what resources and information were lacking for them when they were first diagnosed with breast cancer and the months after diagnosis. Five critical time frames during the cancer journey were identified: initial diagnosis, 1-month, 3-months, 6-months and 12-months following diagnosis. Additionally, the survivors in the focus groups were provided Komen educational materials and were asked to place them in one of the five time frames that would most appropriate. The Affiliate then used the information to develop the Newly Diagnosed Breast Cancer Survivor Support initiative that comprises of five mailings of breast cancer information and resources throughout the first year of breast cancer survivorship.
How to Register: Please click here to complete the Newly Diagnosed Breast Cancer Survivor Support initiative registration form.