Susan G. Komen Northwest Ohio Grants $440,000 to 11 Community Organizations

Susan G. Komen Northwest Ohio Grants $440,000 to 11 Community Organizations

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact:  Desmond Strooh
Susan G. Komen® Northwest Ohio
o: 419-724-CURE (2873)
c: 419-410-3808
desmond@komennwohio.org
Web: www.komennwohio.org

Susan G. Komen Northwest Ohio® Grants $440,000 to 11 Community Organizations

Susan G. Komen Northwest Ohio® continues its commitment to breast health in Northwest Ohio by funding organizations that provide breast health and breast cancer services to uninsured and underinsured women and men in its 24-county service area.

TOLEDO, OHIO. April 19, 2016 – Susan G. Komen Northwest Ohio® announced on Tuesday it has awarded $440,261 in grants for the 2016-2017 service year to provide screening mammograms, diagnostic testing, treatment, survivorship support, patient navigation, and education to uninsured and underinsured women and men in Northwest Ohio and Monroe County, Michigan.

The 2016-2017 Susan G. Komen® Northwest Ohio grantees are:

  • Blanchard Valley Health System – $36,019
  • Center for Appalachia Research in Cancer Education – $24,921
  • Firelands Regional Medical Center and Cancer Services of Erie County – $37,350
  • Hospital Council of Northwest Ohio – $120,495
  • Mercy Health Partners – Northern Division – $42,530
  • ProMedica Cancer Institute – $45,148
  • Seneca County General Health District – $22,795
  • University of Toledo Health Science Campus – $11,562
  • University of Toledo Main Campus – $51,987
  • The Victory Center – $11,250
  • YWCA of Northwest Ohio – $36,204

The following grantees from the 2015-2016 grant year were given year-long extensions to complete their grant services:

  • Avita Health System – $15,000
  • Toledo-Lucas County CareNet – $83,260

Susan G. Komen Northwest Ohio is the largest independent supporter of breast cancer services in Northwest Ohio. It is our mission to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all, and energizing science to find the cure.

“Breast cancer does not discriminate by age, economic status, or race. Every woman and man facing breast cancer deserves the best chance to fight this disease,” said Michele Murnen Rice, president of the Susan G. Komen® Northwest Ohio Board of Directors. “Our grantees provide services to uninsured and underinsured people in Northwest Ohio who otherwise would go without help.”

The money for these grants is raised annually through fundraising by Komen Northwest Ohio. The money raised is divided between local outreach and national research.

“Many people don’t know that 75 percent of the money raised in Northwest Ohio stays right here to fund community outreach, education, and life-saving breast cancer assistance,” said Mary Westphal, executive director, Susan G. Komen® Northwest Ohio.” The remaining 25 percent goes to the Komen national organization to support research actively searching the cures for breast cancer. Zero dollars go to support national operations.”

For further information, visit us online at www.komennwohio.org, call 419-724-2873 or email us at info@komennwohio.org.

About Susan G. Komen® Northwest Ohio

Susan G. Komen® is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $889 million in research and provided more than $1.95 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. The Northwest Ohio Affiliate alone has invested more than $12 million in community breast cancer programs in 24 counties. Seventy-five percent of the net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in Northwest Ohio and the remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life. Visit www.komennwohio.org or call 1-877-GO KOMEN

###